The Father Behind My Story
>> Friday, September 04, 2026
The Father I Never Expected
I was an accidental baby.
My biological mother was legally married to someone else, and she already had five children. My biological father, on the other hand, was single. He had no children and no partner, and he was already around 40 when he met my biological mother.
And then, somehow, I came into this world.
My mother eventually went to prison, and I ended up in my father’s care.
At that time, my father had almost nothing. He had already sold his properties, stopped striving for a better life, and had no permanent job. He spent much of his time gambling and sometimes earning money from cockfighting.
But when I came into his life, something changed.
He became afraid that I might grow up and become like him.
So he started over.
He worked as a lookout at a gambling den and ran errands for the players. Sometimes, when they were short of players, he would even play himself. It wasn't the kind of livelihood anyone would dream of, but despite everything, he became incredibly frugal and disciplined with whatever he earned.
Every bit of money that was given to me from the time I was a baby, he kept.
He didn't touch it.
He was afraid that someday, when I started school, he wouldn't have anything to support me with. So he saved it all, together with his own money.
He raised me without making me accustomed to a lavish lifestyle. But whenever I needed something for school, he made sure I had it.
When I went to college, I don't think he ever imagined that I would eventually have zero tuition fees.
The savings he had prepared for my college education were never actually spent. Instead, they continued to grow.
Now, I have a family of my own and a permanent job. And here's the funny part: I still end up borrowing money from my father whenever I'm short on cash. 😅
I give him money every month, but I only found out much later that he was saving that money too.
For me.
Again. 🥹
My father is now 76 years old. He no longer works. He mostly stays at home and sometimes takes care of his grandchildren.
And despite everything he went through, he remains healthy. Perhaps part of it is because of how frugal he was when he was younger. He ate nutritious food, avoided unnecessary spending, and would probably have fast food or canned food only once in a very long while.
Because of the nature of my work, I've encountered and learned about many different kinds of fathers. I've seen the good, the bad, the absent, and the complicated.
And I've realized that fathers like mine still exist.
They may be rare, but they are real.
My father was never perfect.
He made mistakes. He had struggles. He had a past that wasn't something to be proud of.
But when I look back now, I realize something:
He didn't let his past determine my future.
When I came into his life, he could have continued living the way he had always lived. Instead, he looked at me and decided that he wanted something different for his child.
He didn't have much to give me, so he gave me what he could—his effort, his discipline, his sacrifices, and whatever little he could save.
And perhaps the greatest thing he gave me wasn't money.
It was the decision to become better because he had me.
I learned about the money he had been saving for me only much later, when he taught me how to do the same for my own child.
That's when I realized that sometimes, love doesn't announce itself.
Sometimes, love looks like an old father quietly saving money in an envelope.
Sometimes, it looks like choosing nutritious food instead of spending unnecessarily.
Sometimes, it looks like making sure your child has everything needed for school even when you don't have much yourself.
Sometimes, love is simply a parent thinking, “What if my child needs this someday?”—and preparing for that day years in advance.
And maybe that's why I can say this with all my heart:
I have the best dad ever. 🥹❤️
He may not have been the perfect father from the beginning.
But looking at the man he became, I realize that perhaps he was the perfect father for me after all.
And I am especially thankful to God.
Because after growing up with a father who had his own struggles, God blessed me with a good husband when I started my own family.
It reminds me that we don't always get to choose where our story begins.
But God can still write something beautiful with the chapters that follow.
My Reflection
I've learned that a person's past does not always tell you who they will become.
Sometimes, the person who has made the most mistakes can become the person who tries the hardest to protect someone else from making the same mistakes.
We often measure a parent by what they can provide materially—money, a beautiful home, a comfortable life.
But there are sacrifices that don't show up on a bank statement.
There are prayers we never hear.
There are worries parents carry silently.
There are little amounts of money saved over many years because someone wanted to make sure their child would never have to go without.
And sometimes, we only understand those sacrifices when we become parents ourselves.
So if you're blessed enough to still have your parents, don't wait until they're gone to appreciate the things they did quietly.
Ask them about their stories.
Listen to the sacrifices behind the life you have today.
And if your parents weren't perfect, remember this too:
Being imperfect doesn't mean they didn't love you.
Some parents spend their whole lives learning how to become the parent their child needs.
My father did.
And now, at 76, I don't just see the mistakes of the man he used to be.
I see the man who chose to change.
I see the father who saved for me.
I see the grandfather who cares for his grandchildren.
And most of all, I see a man who, despite having very little, somehow found a way to give me more than he had.
That, to me, is love.
And that is why I can say with a grateful heart:
I have the best dad ever. 🥹❤️
Thank You, Lord, for giving me a father whose story taught me that people can change, love can transform us, and sometimes the most beautiful blessings come from the most unexpected beginnings.
CREDIT: MARIA