Sometimes, Help Is Waiting on the Sidewalk

>> Saturday, September 05, 2026

I never imagined that the day would come when I would go home still carrying the lunch I had packed but never got to eat—not because I had no appetite, but because I never made it to my lunch break as an employee.

That day, I went home with almost no cash left, my phone battery at just 1%, and my bag weighing heavily on my shoulder. But what felt even heavier was the realization slowly sinking in: I no longer had a job to return to the next day.

Just a few hours earlier, it had been an ordinary day for me. I went to work carrying my bag and lunch bag, thinking that I would just eat my packed lunch later during my one-hour lunch break.

But I never made it that far.

I had to go home earlier than expected.

While I was on the MRT, I felt like I was just running on autopilot. I don’t think my mind was even capable of processing everything yet. All I could think about was getting home.

When I checked my wallet, I barely had any cash left. When I looked at my phone, the battery was at 1%. I was waiting for some money to come into my GCash, so I thought everything would be okay. But I still needed cash for the rest of my journey home.

When I got off the MRT, I looked for somewhere I could cash out. That’s when I came across an Ate selling things along the sidewalk.

I asked her if I could possibly cash out some money through her.

While I was talking to her, she noticed that my phone was almost out of battery. I will never forget what she said:

“Sure, kuya. I’ll give you the cash. Just send it to my GCash later.”

She didn’t know me. She didn’t know where I lived. She had no assurance that I would come back or keep my word.

But she chose to trust me.

She wrote down her GCash number on a small piece of paper and handed it to me so I could make it home.

I told her, “Ate, thank you for trusting me. You can count on me—I’ll send it to you as soon as I get home.”

As I walked away, carrying that small piece of paper along with my heavy bag and lunch bag, that was when I suddenly felt sorry for myself.

Really, really sorry.

Just a few hours earlier, I was still an employee, thinking about what time I would have lunch. Now, I was heading home earlier than expected. I never got to eat the lunch I had packed. My wallet was almost empty. My phone was about to die.

And I had to rely on the trust of someone I didn’t even know just to be able to continue my journey home.

That was when everything really started to sink in.

This is how quickly an ordinary day can change.

But as I made my way home, there was one thing I kept remembering over and over:

“Rejoice always.”

It was hard to believe in that moment.

How do you rejoice when you’ve just lost your job?

Maybe it doesn’t mean that you have to be happy about everything that happens.

It doesn’t mean that you’re not allowed to be sad, afraid, or even feel sorry for yourself. Maybe sometimes, it simply means that even when you feel like you’re running out of everything, try to find that one thing that remains—something you can still be grateful for.

And that day, there was one.

A stranger selling things along the sidewalk.

Someone who had no obligation to help me, but chose to trust me.

A small piece of paper with a GCash number written on it, which I held in my hand as I made my way home.

When I finally got home and was able to charge my phone, I immediately sent her the money, just as I had promised.

Maybe for Ate, it was simply a small act of kindness toward someone who just wanted to get home.

But for me, it happened on the exact day I needed to remember that even when one door suddenly closes, it doesn’t mean the world has abandoned me.

Sometimes, help doesn’t come in a big or dramatic way.

Sometimes, it’s simply there on a sidewalk.

A stranger who says,

“Sure, kuya.”

On the day I felt so sorry for myself, there was someone who didn’t know me but chose to trust me.

And on the day I felt like I had lost so much, it turned out I still had a reason to be grateful.

Thank you, Ate. Thank you for trusting me. And thank You, Lord.

I made it home.

Credit: Jake

When One Door Closes

Sometimes, life can change in just a few hours.

One moment, you are going about an ordinary day—going to work, carrying your lunch, thinking about what time you’ll eat. Then suddenly, everything changes, and you find yourself going home wondering what tomorrow will look like.

Losing something important can make us feel small, helpless, and forgotten. We may ask God why it happened, or wonder how we are supposed to rejoice when our hearts are hurting.

But perhaps “Rejoice always” doesn’t mean we have to celebrate the pain. It means remembering that even in the middle of the pain, God can still give us something to hold on to.

Sometimes, His provision doesn’t arrive in a way we expect.

Sometimes, it comes through a stranger on a sidewalk.

Through someone who has no obligation to help but chooses kindness anyway.

Through a small piece of paper carrying a GCash number.

Through a simple “Sige, kuya.”

That moment is a beautiful reminder that when one door closes, God has not necessarily left us standing alone. We may not see what He is doing yet, but He can place small reminders of His goodness along the way.

And maybe that is what gratitude really means—not pretending that everything is okay, but recognizing that even when everything is not okay, there is still something good to thank God for.

So if today you are carrying disappointment, uncertainty, or the weight of something you never expected to lose, allow yourself to feel it.

Cry if you need to.

Be afraid if you need to.

Rest if you need to.

But when you are ready, look around.

There may still be a blessing you almost overlooked.

A person who showed kindness.

A hand that helped you.

A door that closed.

Or simply the fact that, despite everything, you made it home.

Sometimes, that is enough to remind us:

God is still there.
God is still providing.
And the story is not over yet.


Share/Bookmark

Popular Posts

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP